Creation of the hub
In its 2017–2018 budget entitled Éducation et enseignement supérieur – Un plan pour la réussite : dès la petite enfance et tout au long de la vie, the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MÉES) allocated funding to create regional hubs.
These hubs support consultation and cooperation between college and university institutions in the same area, help set up joint initiatives, and, as a result, foster joint regional action.
In the spring of 2018, the MÉES provided a $1 million grant to create the Pôle régional en enseignement supérieur de l’Estrie (PRESE) or Estrie Region Higher Education Hub ($500,000 per year, for a two-year term).
- To align educational programs at the college and university levels, and create greater fluidity (in particular with the signing of new DEC-BAC agreements)
- To promote access to post-secondary studies
- To promote the academic perseverance and success of students at all PRESE member institutions
- To pool resources (be they human, material or financial)
- To contribute to regional development